Is there really any room for a rigid morning to evening job anymore? Sitting in one place has not only restricted mobility but has also been known to hamper creativity in a worker. An office environment, though vital for certain industries, can be a bit formal and restrictive for certain employees.
Businesses that rely on their worker’s creativity to make profits have slowly started chipping away the elements of a traditionalist office environment to make it more relaxed and home like.
Google – a pioneer in such new age office environment – has introduced things such as beanbags and sleeping bags and even a giant slide that makes the whole environment fun. There can be two main reasons to look for work from home jobs:
- Unleashing and encouraging creativity: Designers, programmers and idea cell executives sometimes feel the need to move away from the office environment to reach their full potential.
- Need for Mobility: Sometimes, single parents or people with dependants cannot work fixed hours. They need a flexible work schedule and prefer to work from home.
Benefits of Working from Home
- Comfortable environment: Like previously discussed, creative thinkers tend to feel stressed and constricted in a traditional environment. Operating from a different location or the having the comfort of a work from home job can reap great benefits for the employer.
- Single parents: Single parents, who cannot work a fixed schedule, need flexible working hours. There are numerous reasons that single parents like many of us cannot leave our children unattended for long stretches. These super multi-taskers need to be able to work remotely.
- Diverse option/time zone: Working remotely opens up a wide range of job opportunities that might not be possible otherwise. International clients looking for workers in different parts of the world also provide leverage in terms of time zone difference, making the worker’s routine more flexible.
Drawbacks of Working from Home
When people choose to work from home, there are certain disadvantages that can be rather discouraging.
- Relatively lower pay: There is a chance of the base pay or starting salary being lower. Employers sometimes tend to try and exploit people looking to work from a home environment.
- Hectic schedule: Due to lack of proper communication and discipline, the whole process might become hectic and rather stressful for the worker.
- No group work/interaction: One of the biggest benefits of working in an office is the kind of work relationships and teamwork that takes place. Working from the comfort of one’s home, reduces this interaction and consequently, peer to peer learning opportunities.
People looking to work from home have a wide range of websites that seek to connect employers from all over the world with freelancers working remotely. Freelancers have a wide range of jobs to choose from, ranging from virtual assistants that handle calendars to mass data entry jobs.
The options are virtually endless; it is just a matter of finding work from home jobs and knowing what your work is worth.